I Just Moved From Out of State, Do I Need to Update My Estate Plan?

Generally, you will not need to change your estate plan simply by moving to California. 

For each of the typical estate planning documents (Trust, Will, Durable Power of Attorney, and Advance Health Care Directive), California has statutes which permit those documents to be valid and enforceable in California so long as they were properly executed under the laws of the state in which they were executed.

Thus, if you believe your current estate plan is invalid simply because it was established in another state, then you can rest easy because it survived the trip to California.

You may also be interested in: